Test of English as a Foregin Language
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) measures English language proficiency for non-native speakers. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) conducts the exam. Many institutions, especially in North America, consider TOEFL test scores during the admission process. Additionally, institutions such as government agencies, businesses, or scholarship programs may require this test. The computerized version of the test is TOEFL iBT and is attempted by over 35 million people across the world.
Masterprep provides TOEFL coaching across its centers having technologically equipped laboratories. The classroom sessions are designed intensively to incorporate brainstorming, impromptu debates, and presentations.
TOEFL is tested on four skills of the English language i.e., Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. However, each section may require the candidate to use more than one of the above four skills.
- The Reading module consists of 3-5 reading passagescontaining 12-14 questions each.
- The candidate gets 60-80 minutesto answer these questions.
- The different types of question types include vocabulary based, sentence simplification, factual information, negative facts, prose summary, insert text, inference, and rhetorical purpose.
- The Listening section consists of 4-6 lectures, having six questions eachand 2-3 conversations having five questions each.
- The candidate gets 60-90 minutesto complete the entire task.
- The recording is played only once.
- The multiple-choice format is used in five types of questions, namely, the main idea, detail, purpose, organization, and implication.
- The speaking section consists of 2 independent and four integrated tasks.
- The duration of this section is 20 minutes.
- There are three sections to the speaking module:
The first section expects the candidate to give his opinion about a familiar topic. The candidate is given 15 seconds to prepare and 45 seconds to speak.
The second section consists of two questions, where the candidate is given 30 seconds to prepare and 60 seconds to speak. There are two passages followed by a talk in both the questions. The first question and talk is based on some aspect of campus life, whereas, the second question and talk is about an academic topic.
In the third section, the candidate is expected to answer questions to an audiovisual based on an academic talk. The test taker is given 20 seconds to prepare and 60 seconds to speak.
- The writing section consists of 1 integrated and one independent task.
- The time allotted for attempting the former is 20 minutes, and for the latter is 30 minutes.
- The candidate gets 20 minutesto write an essay in the integrated writing task.
- The response will be based upon the promptwhich a candidate has read and an academic talk on the same topic.
- The independent writing task requires a candidate to write an essay that explains and supports his opinionon a given issue. The total duration to complete the task is 30 minutes.
The Listening and reading sections are marked electronically, whereas trained examiners grade the Speaking and Writing sections. The maximum marks for each section vary; however, each is scaled to a maximum of 30 marks.
TOEFL Scoring Breakdown
|READING||0 – 30||
LOW ( 0-14)
|LISTENING||0 – 30||
LOW ( 0-14)
|SPEAKING||0 – 30||
|WRITING||0 – 30||
|TOTAL SCORE||0 – 120|
We, at Masterprep provide coaching for TOEFL preparation across our centers and have helped students achieve their required scores.