Reading practice tests
This module consists of three passages having approximately 2500 words with 40 questions in totality with two versions of the test; the Academic Reading Test/ General Reading Test. Unlike in the Listening module, you will have no extra time to transfer your answers. You will have only 60 minutes to read the passages, answer the questions, and mark them.
- Skim & Scan
- Pay attention to headings, subtitles, and diagrams
- Read the passage to understand the tone of the passage.
- While reading, make notes as it will help you in remembering how reading is progressing.
- Try to underline important figures and names, as it will help you to find answers.
- Understand views, arguments, claims, and identify the overall theme of the passage.
Multiple choice questions: There are two types of multiple-choice questions: one is a question followed by three possible options, and the other is an unfinished statement followed by three possible endings.
Short-answer questions: There are two types of short answer questions. Type 1 is where you answer an actual question, and Type 2 is where you make a list of up to three things. The student answers to WH- questions which are where, which, when, what, why, who, and how.
Choosing from a heading bank: From the list of headings, choose the most suitable heading for each paragraph of the reading passage.
Matching lists and phrases: Using the information provided in the passage, match column A with column B.
Identifying viewpoints, facts, and opinions: With reference to the passage, determine if the statements are True, False, or Not Given.
- A statement is TRUE if the statement agrees with the information in the passage.
- A statement is FALSE if the statement does not agree.
- A statement is NOT GIVEN if there is insufficient information in the passage.
Classifying: Using the information provided in the passages, classify the information in different categories.
Completing sentences, tables, flow charts, summaries: Choose from the list of words given to complete summary.