UK Student Visa Guide

UK is known worldwide for its high educational excellence and world-class institutions that further provide state-of-the-art facilities, highly experienced faculties, a multicultural environment, and global exposure to international students. It prepares them to delve deeper into their field of study and achieve a great career. That is why, over recent years, the number of student applications to study in Canada has increased significantly.


GBP 10000

Average Cost Of Study


International Students

Boost your band score by scheduling a FREE call with our experts

UK Visa application process

  • The length of the course determines how long an international student can remain in the UK.
  • While studying or pursuing their studies in the UK, students can extend their visas, change to a student visa from another visa, or find a job after their studies.
  • The students must arrive in the UK before the start of their course (up to one week prior if the course lasts 6 months or less; one month prior if it lasts longer than 6 months).
  • Children or spouses of the applicant might get an entry to the UK if the applicant is a full- time postgraduate student pursuing a nine-month or longer course.
  • Students that are already living in Britain can switch to a student visa.
  • Students aged 16 or above may take part in part-time work placement activities even if they are limited to doing so under programme demands.
  • Students who may work while studying may do so for up to 40 hours per week in term time and for full-time outside term time.
  • After finishing their studies, international students can work full-time, leave the country, and return to the United Kingdom for work.
  • New Graduate Route (opening July 1, 2021) allows international students who have graduated from UK universities to remain in the country for up to two or three years depending on their degree.

UK Student Visa Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a UK student visa, you must meet the following requirements.

  • Students should have enough money to support themselves and pay for the course.
  • They should be able to speak, read, write, and understand the English language.
  • If student is 16 or 17 years of age, then he/she must have parental permission.
  • Students should take admission to a course through a licensed student sponsor only.

When to apply for the UK student Visa

To Apply from Outside the UK

It's best to apply six months prior to the course beginning. The decision is usually made within three weeks.

If you are applying from within the UK

The earliest time to apply would be three months before the course begins and before one's current UK visa expires. The decision is typically communicated within 8 weeks.


Accelerate your IELTS exam preparation through our exclusive range of courses

We have hand-picked 3 courses (Crash course, Regular Course, Comprehensive) for you that you can avail according to your convenience to prepare for an IELTS exam.

by Masterprep

UK Student visa duration

The duration for which a student can live or stay in UK is solely dependent on two factors that are the course’s duration and the degree which he/she have previously completed. Students can remain in the UK for up to five years if their degree course is at degree level and they are over 18 years old, or up to two years if it is at non-degree level.

Is it possible to stay in the UK for longer?

You can stay in the UK for longer if:

  • You extend your visa for continuing your studies in the UK.
  • You switch to a student visa, if you are living in UK.

Fee for UK student visa

A UK student visa costs:

  • £348 when student applies for it from outside the UK.
  • £475 when student extends or switches to A UK student visa while living in UK.

Courses international student can study on a UK student visa

International students can enroll in one of the following classes with a UK Student Visa:

  • A 15-hour-a-week programme leading to a postgraduate qualification.
  • A B2 level or above English-language course in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • A full-time course leading to a higher degree level or above qualification.
  • A part-time course that leads to a postgraduate degree level qualification.
  • Dentists or doctors may take a recognised foundation course.
  • The levels of qualification will differ in Scotland.

A Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a document that verifies an individual's acceptance to study in UK. Once a student has been offered a place on the course, the CAS reference number will be sent to them. The same number must be entered on the visa application, which one should apply for within six months of receiving the CAS.

We Promise


In your IELTS Exam

No Progress? Get your Fees back, no questions asked

You can apply for a UK student visa by following the steps below.

The procedure for applying for a UK Student Visa is as follows:

Before one can apply for a UK student visa, they must ensure that they qualify for one.

  • The applicant must also have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and supporting financial documentation to prove that they have the money necessary to cover their tuition fees. All necessary documents must be kept on hand
  • To apply, applicants may either visit the official UK visa website and complete the student visa application form or print and sign the application form and make an appointment at the visa application centre.
  • To pay the application fee for a student visa, applicants may use a variety of methods, including online, at the visa application centre, at a national or international bank, or at Standard Chartered Bank.
  • During the visa application process, one must prove their identity, which will vary depending on their country of origin and their passport.
  • To prove their identity, one may either submit fingerprints and a photograph at a visa application centre or use the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app to scan their identity document.

Get courses handpicked just for you

Skip browsing through long lists, let us do it for you. Registering gives you personalised course recommendations, just for you!

The following documents are required for a UK student visa.

A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from the university, a passport or other proof of valid travel documentation, and proof of their ability to support themselves and pay for their course in the UK are required.

Their TB test results are also required, along with information regarding their place of stay, their ATAS certificate if it is required for their nationality or course, their TB test results, proof of parental or guardian consent if they are under 18, proof of their relationship with their parent or guardian if they are under 18, and written consent from their financial sponsor if they have been receiving funding for their tuition and living expenses over the last year.

It's not possible to extend a UK student visa.

You may be able to extend your UK Student Visa to stay in the UK longer or start a new course (if you have a UK Tier 4 Visa).

You must do the following in order to prolong a UK Study Visa:
  • You must provide evidence that your course is of a higher academic level than the one you are currently enrolled in.
  • If you have been in the UK for less than 12 months and has a valid visa, then, you must prove that you have enough money to live there.
  • You have an unconditional offer letter along with a licensed student sponsor.